Upon final clearance from the Italian authorities to move River Countess to the shipyard for repairs, and a thorough inspection of the damage by our shipyard, it was determined that the damage was more extensive than originally thought and will take longer to repair. As a result, we have canceled these additional River Countess cruise dates:
- July 19, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / July 21, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- July 26, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / July 28, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- August 2, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / August 4, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- August 9, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / August 11, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- August 16, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / August 18, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- August 23, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / August 25, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- August 30, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / September 1, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
We have begun immediate outreach to our guests and travel advisor partners with this news and are offering options to rebook. If you are booked on one of the cruises listed above, we kindly ask that you wait to be notified by a Uniworld team member for us to review your options.
As a result of the incident that occurred this past weekend in Venice, the following cruises on the River Countess have been canceled. If you are booked on one of the following cruises, we kindly ask that you wait to be notified by a Uniworld team member for us to review your options:
- June 7, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / June 9, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- June 14, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / June 16, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- June 21, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / June 23, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- June 28, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / June 30, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- July 5, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / July 7, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
- July 12, 2019 (cruise-land departure) / July 14, 2019 (cruise-only departure)
We appreciate your patience. Additional updates will be made as information becomes available.
The River Countess was hit by the MSC Opera, a large ocean ship, while docked at the San Basilio Cruise Terminal in Venice, Italy this morning. Four guests with minor injuries were escorted to the hospital by Italian-speaking Uniworld staff. No crew members were injured. The accident occurred after most guests of the 130-passenger River Countess had disembarked and were transferring for flights home.
Uniworld’s technical and nautical crisis response team is on the way to Venice to thoroughly evaluate the River Countess and take necessary action.
Guests slated to arrive today have been informed and are under the care of Uniworld who is providing hotel accommodation.
Additional updates to this statement will be made as information becomes available.
How we handle the unexpected
While travel is a wonderful way to see the world, learn about other cultures and relax, it isn’t always without its unexpected surprises—which come from the ebbs and flows of the world as we know it. With that in mind, you can count on the value of Uniworld’s experience and regional knowledge to make sure you enjoy your cruise-tour even when conditions beyond our control occur.
If unexpected conditions occur, we will make decisions that are in the best interest of our guests, our crew and our vessels, and will take the following steps:
We will keep you posted on significant deviations and cancellations
We monitor conditions along all our routes throughout the season. We will share updates with you when we deem appropriate.
- During unusually low/high water periods, a special statement will be posted on this page to inform you of the river conditions.
- If there is a likelihood that a particular cruise will be significantly impacted, this page will be updated with information about that cruise.
- In the case of a significant deviation or full cancellation, you will be notified at the email address you provided at time of booking or on your Passenger Information Form.
- In the case of a significant deviation that becomes necessary after the start of your cruise-tour our onboard/on shore personnel will keep you informed.
We will keep our travel partners, your Travel Advisors, informed
- If you booked your cruise through your Travel Advisor, please keep in contact with them regarding your cruise, as we will be directly in contact with them if there are any cancellations.
We know that your Uniworld cruise is a very special occasion for you and as such, we will always do everything within our power to handle the unexpected and unforeseen in the best way possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What types of unforeseen circumstances are possible on a river?
A: The very nature of a river, its sources, and networks of bridges and locks, as well as fluctuations in weather conditions means that there will be times when circumstances require Uniworld to make adjustments and/or modifications to an itinerary.
Although every effort will be made to keep itineraries, vessels and hotels as they are marketed, Uniworld reserves the right to cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled sailing date and reserves the right to substitute itineraries, hotels or vessels. In such cases, we will do everything we can to make sure the locations visited, the excursions taken and the hotels or vessels offered are similar to the ones originally planned.
Because conditions can change quickly and fluctuate throughout the season, it may not be possible to determine if a deviation will be significant prior to the start of a cruise.
Q: What is a “Significant Deviation”
A: A significant deviation is one which affects more than 48 continuous hours of a scheduled itinerary, AND:
- Requires us to move guests from a ship to a hotel, OR
- Requires guests to be transported to a location by coach more than 2 hours above and beyond the original trip.
Q: What is Uniworld’s refund policy when changes to itineraries occur due to unforeseen circumstances?
A: As noted in our Terms & Conditions, itineraries are subject to change without notice and may need to be altered specifically because of water levels, wind factors, or other conditions. If you choose to cancel or interrupt your cruise or cruise-tour due to an itinerary change, you will be subject to our standard Cancellation Policy. In the event of cancellation by Uniworld, your sole right of recourse shall be to obtain a refund of monies paid to Uniworld in connection with such cruise-tour. However, please know that any changes to itineraries will not result in eligibility for a refund.